WILSHAW ROAD (Wilshaw). The Almshouses. The centre of three handed pairs of almshouses. Dated 1871, by John Kirk of Huddersfield, for Eleanor Hirst of Wilshaw. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched slate roof with gable copings and barge boards, and tall stone stacks to each gable. Two storeys. Central two storey gabled stone porch with two open round arched entrances with hood moulds.
At first floor level is central round arched plaque inscribed in capitals: “A.D. 1871. These almshouses were erected by Eleanor Hirst the beloved wife of Joseph Hirst of this place, in loving remembrance of Mary, their deeply lamented and only child whose love and sympathy for the poor when living.
These houses are intended for the aged and destitute a fitting memorial to an affectionate daughter who was always ready to add comfort to those in want and declining years”. To left and right, ground floor, is 2-light window with round arched lights with sashes. To first floor is single round arched sash which extends above eaves level as dormer with hipped slate roof. Lean-to extensions, of similar date, to each gable.
Eleanor had the idea for a memorial to her daughter and in 1879 six almshouses were built…